Translate

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Masculinity Pt II: Gay = girl? No.

I've touched on this before, but it warrants revisiting.



This stereotype that non heteros are the same as females is horseshit. It's a very persistent stereotype, so much so that I think those trying to figure out their sexuality internalize it: "Oh because I like guys, and most girls like guys, then we must have everything else in common." It's a shame when people limit themselves by cultural norms. As trite as it sounds, we have one life, so why not experience as many interesting things as possible?

What's fair, and I believe that there is some science to back this up, is that non hetero males have a couple brain features that are more analogous to those of females, rather than those of heterosexual males. But let's be clear, being homosexual is NOT the same thing as being transgender. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's just not me. 

When I was a kid I enjoyed activities from different points across the cultural spectrum of boys vs. girls play. I liked rough-housing, competitive sports, feeling like an alpha-male, but I wasn't as interested in war and killing. I didn't want to shoot song birds with my brother, that's for sure. Then again, neither did any of my guy friends. There are plenty of effeminate straight guys, just as there are plenty of stereotypically masculine homos. 
"gay"

"Not gay"

Also, I find it comical that bros that are insecure about their manliness call particular activities "gay" without realizing that those activities are often dominated by hetero males. "Oh, cooking is for bitches". Right. And the world's most famous chefs are…men. Artists, musicians, dancers, writers, actors—no shortage of hetero guys in these fields. And the armed forces as being the epitome of hetero tough-guyness? Laugh out fucking loud.

Thankfully, as the years and decades pass, 'tarded bigoted people are dying and being replaced by less bigoted ones. The second half of the equation is education. If there is such a thing as a panacea, my bet is on education.
* Subscribe, share, enjoy *

4 comments:

  1. Nothing gay about tossing on a spandex suit and forcing another man into submission.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post dude! The barriers between what is stereotypically "masculine" and "feminine" need to be broken down. I for one have several [straight] male family members who are in fashion and theater. It wasn't until I became more aware of the world beyond my family that I started questioning whether or not it was "gay" for a hetero male to have these interests, careers, etc. Many men and woman, regardless of sexuality, need to open their minds to the fact that not everyone fits into these 'molds' society has dictated for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jesus, more internalized shit. Do you HONESTLY believe that someone who is gay thinks "oh if I like guys that means I should be feminine?" If anyone is living up to cultural norms, it's people like you who try to act like heterosexuals because they are embarrassed of being gay. Which is basically what this blog is all about: shaming gays who don't act like straight people. And integration? Integration into what? White cisgendered heterosexist standards of what is appropriate?

    ReplyDelete
  4. > "Do you HONESTLY believe that someone who is gay thinks "oh if I like guys that means I should be feminine?"

    No, that's definitely an oversimplification. Read past the third sentence.

    > "If anyone is living up to cultural norms, it's people like you who try to act like heterosexuals because they are embarrassed of being gay."

    I'm not embarrassed that I like guys, but just because I like guys doesn't mean I have to 'act' like anyone besides myself.

    >"…basically what this blog is all about: shaming gays"

    Again, untrue. Read.

    "White cisgendered heterosexist standards of what is appropriate?"

    Kind of. Read "Masculinity Pt I" and it will be more clear, I think.

    Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete