Translate

Thursday, December 25, 2014

Surfcation / No One Cares


Eric
I just got back from a fucking awesome surf vacation in Mexico with my brother and some friends. Actually were technically my brother's friends, but I consider some mutual friends, as we've hung out without my broseph. Importantly, most of them were also good looking, chill guys. There were also a few chicas in the mix.

We rented a big villa right by a surfing beach with our own pool and errythang. Most of crew surfs all year rounds so they were crushing waves for the majority of most of the days we were there. I was alright on a longboard, but shortboards are fucking tricky. Whenever I know I'm going to have the opportunity to go surfing (about once a year) I always delude myself into thinking there's way more crossover from snowboarding. They're both boards, right?! Yeah...'cause in snowboarding you're often paddling and laying on your board? Regardless, it was still fun to be out in water.

We also rented a sailboat and sailed to a little island not far from our beach. It was a surreal paradise. 

My brother's friends were cool and mostly we had a great time drinking and being stupid and laughing a lot. But this nagging voice in the back of my mind would pop up regularly:
They're only being cool with you because they think you're straight. If they knew, they would be treating you differently and it would suck.



We flew back early the day before Christmas. Our skin was mostly uncharred, except for Eric whose entire body was pealing. He rolled around on the grass, joking that he was a snake shedding his skin. 
 * * *
Back stateside, I'm in the car with my brother leaving the airport.

So, did you have fun? My brother asks.
Yeah, I had a fucking blast.
Good. Yeah everyone said they were glad you ended up coming. 

After a brief pause:

You know, you can tell everyone that I like dudes. I don't care, just didn't feel like bringing it up.
Oh they all know. Everyone here knew before, and no one cares.


Being wrong hurts so good. 

Happy holidaze y'all. 

13 comments:

  1. Hell yeah!! So happy you had an awesome time in Mexico, the villa you guys rented out sounds amazing. I love that your bro didn't tell you that everyone already knew you were gay, just goes to show how cool and open-minded people are now, especially our generation.

    And holy obliques! Glad to see you bloggin again man, Merry Christmas


    Glad to see you posting again

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a gaybro still learning to surf, I'm glad your friends are cool about it. I hope the guys I meet down at the beach when I finally get out into the proper waves will be as down to earth as your mates are.

    -d-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah. Glad you're back and glad about this post, man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats the best type of surprise!! This kinda happened to me before and it's literally the best feeling to have our own worried "if they knew" expectations proven wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. See, man! Nothing but support.
    Glad to see you writing again too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to see you writing again, and that's awesome how nobody seemed to really care, or bring it up while on vacation.

    PS; who is that in your profile pic thing?

    ReplyDelete
  7. is that you in the pic in your blog profile?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bro in the profile pic du jour is http://instagram.com/b3nji1

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you ever watche Marke Miller on youtube? He's a good watch.. kinda corny at times but generally entertaining

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just checking if you're alive 👋🏻

    ReplyDelete